The personal injury statute of limitations in Florida is generally four years, per Florida Statutes § 95.11. This generally means that you have four years from the date of suffering an injury to file a personal injury claim.
There can be exceptions to this deadline. In some cases, the four-year mark begins from the date that you discovered your injury, rather than the date when the injury happened. Other unique circumstances could affect the statute of limitations for your case.
Some Personal Injury Cases in Florida Have a Two-Year Statute of Limitations
Certain types of personal injury cases in Florida have a two-year statute of limitations. This shorter window means that you must act with urgency to file your case. Cases that generally have a two-year statute of limitations include:
- Medical malpractice cases
- Nursing home abuse cases
- Workers’ compensation cases
Wrongful death cases in Florida also generally have a two-year statute of limitations. If you want to sue a municipality, the filing deadline may be even shorter. According to Florida Statutes § 768.28(6)(a)(1), you generally have only six months to sue a municipality.
How to Ensure That You Beat Your Case’s Statute of Limitations
Hire an attorney from our firm to start your case as soon as possible. So long as you have enough time to file, our team will work quickly to submit your case in the proper court.
With a roster of attorneys, paralegals, and investigators, we’re ready to:
- Identify the defendants in your case
- File the legal complaint in the proper jurisdiction
- Submit any additional paperwork that the court requests
- Move forward with your case after we’ve filed the initial complaint
We will inform the defendants that they’re the focus of your complaint. Whether we’re seeking compensation from an insurance company or another party, our team will start your case as soon as possible.
Damages You May Get Compensation for in a Florida Personal Injury Case
Every case we handle is completely unique from all others. Our firm represents clients who face:
- Life-changing medical bills: Whether you are facing comparatively minor or major medical bills, we can help. We seek coverage for emergency services, surgery, rehabilitation, and any other medical services that our clients need.
- Pain and suffering: Any injury can cause pain and suffering. Our team will seek coverage for emotional distress, injury-related pain, depression, anxiety, and any other pain and suffering that you have.
- Professional uncertainty: You may lose income, earning power, status with your employer, benefits, bonuses, promotions, and other perks of being employed. You may get coverage for these and other professional losses.
- Property damage: If your vehicle, boat, electronics, jewelry, or other property suffered damage because of another party’s negligence, these losses may be part of your financial recovery.
It isn’t always easy to understand the full extent of your losses. Our firm will work with you to identify your damages. Our mission then becomes getting you the compensation you deserve.
Our Firm Measures Up to the Standards You Seek in a Lawyer
Whether you’ve considered it or not, there are several standards you should have for your personal injury lawyer. Our firm meets the standards that any personal injury victim should seek, as we:
- Handle personal injury cases as a primary practice area: You deserve a lawyer with a deep background in personal injury law. That is what you’ll get with our firm. We operate throughout Florida, and we know the rules and procedures of Florida’s civil justice system.
- Prioritize communication: When you need to reach our firm—whether through email, by phone, or other means—we’ll be there. Our team will reach out as your case evolves. We make sure you’re always aware of how your case is progressing, so you never have to worry about where the legal process stands.
- Seek the financial recovery you deserve, and not a dollar less: We measure success in personal injury cases by the financial recovery. We expect you to evaluate our firm by the same metric.
Our case results show that our attorneys mean business.
Personal Injury Case Types We Can Assist You With
We handle all kinds of personal injury cases, including those that involve:
- Car accidents
- Truck accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Boating accidents
- Medical malpractice
- Defective products
We also help with insurance claims and other legal matters in Florida. Our firm will handle the claims or legal process for you. Each of our clients has the ability to focus on what matters most—their health, their loved ones, and the other details of their lives. We handle the legal stuff because that’s just what we do.
Call GED Lawyers Today for Your Free Consultation About a Florida Personal Injury Case
There may not be much time to file your case. Don’t wait to call our team and start the legal process. We’ll work hard to beat the statute of limitations, time permitting.
Call GED Lawyers today to complete your free consultation. This is the first step in the legal process, and one that allows you to learn more about our firm.