Life-changing injuries can occur when doctors, health care providers, and medical facilities make mistakes. If medical negligence caused you or your loved one to suffer a spinal cord injury in Coconut Creek, you deserve financial compensation, and Ged Lawyers can help.
Our Coconut Creek personal injury lawyers will put our firm’s decades of legal experience behind proving your medical malpractice case. We will also work tirelessly to protect your rights and financial future by ensuring responsible parties pay for the losses they caused, not you or your family. You can learn about your legal options when you call us for a free consultation.
How Can Medical Malpractice at a Coconut Creek, FL, Facility Cause a Spinal Cord Injury?
Per Florida Statutes § 766.102, medical malpractice occurs when a health care provider or medical facility fails to treat patients with the “level of care, skill, and treatment which, in light of all relevant surrounding circumstances, is recognized as acceptable and appropriate by reasonably prudent similar health care providers.”
Therefore, not every unfavorable medical outcome results from medical malpractice. Malpractice involves a medical mistake that would not have happened if the care provider had treated the patient correctly or responded properly to complications.
Examples of medical errors that can cause a spinal cord injury (SCI) include the following:
- Failure to diagnose an SCI
- Failure to properly stabilize and treat an SCI
- Failure to diagnose or treat a spinal illness (such as cancer, spinal stenosis, or meningitis)
- Emergency room errors
- Surgical errors
- Anesthesia administration errors
- Negligent chiropractic care
- Patient falls
- Patient abuse or neglect
- Birth injuries
Our Coconut Creek Medical Attorneys Can Seek Compensation for a Spinal Cord Injury
An SCI is any injury that damages your spinal cord or the nerves at its base. It can cause serious and life-changing side effects, including changes in strength and sensation, loss of bodily function, and paralysis.
If you or your loved one suffered an SCI because of medical negligence, you deserve financial compensation for economic and non-economic damages. Our Coconut Creek personal injury lawyers can pursue the following compensation for your medical malpractice spinal cord injury:
- Medical expenses, including current and future treatment related to your spinal cord injury and reimbursement for the negligent medical care that caused your SCI
- Lost income, earnings, and employment benefits
- Loss of your future earning capacity if you must permanently change jobs, reduce your hours, or stop working
- Physical pain and suffering, including loss of mobility, paralysis, loss of a bodily function, scarring, disfigurement, and severe and chronic pain
- Mental and emotional distress
- Loss of enjoyment
- Impaired quality of life
Wrongful Death Damages
If your loved one suffered a fatal medical malpractice injury, our Coconut Creek wrongful death lawyers can pursue many of the above damages on behalf of their estate and survivors. We can also seek compensation for funeral and burial expenses and the loss of your loved one’s care, support, guidance, and companionship.
We Can Start on Your Case Without an Upfront Payment
We will assess your situation and let you know what the recoverable damages are in your case. If we represent you, we do so with no upfront fees or costs. We work on contingency, so we only get paid if you recover monetary compensation.
How Long Do You Have to Sue an At-Fault Party in Florida for a Spinal Cord Injury?
As Florida Statutes § 95.11 states, you generally have two years to file a personal injury lawsuit or wrongful death lawsuit based on medical malpractice. If you do not pursue your case by the deadline, the court will likely bar you from seeking damages. This could occur even if you have solid proof of medical negligence.
Even if you think an insurance claim will resolve your case, waiting too long will hurt your medical malpractice claims. If the statute deadline expires and you can no longer take legal action, it will reduce your bargaining power and decrease your chances of securing an advantageous settlement.
Our spinal cord injury attorneys serving Coconut Creek, FL, can start your case immediately. Acting promptly gives us the most time to negotiate for maximum compensation and prepare a lawsuit if necessary. It also allows our law firm to collect and preserve evidence before it gets lost or deteriorates.
Our Coconut Creek Spinal Cord Injury Lawyers Will Prove Medical Negligence Occurred
Proving an SCI resulted from a medical error and not merely a bad outcome can be challenging. Our Coconut Creek medical malpractice lawyers will use their legal knowledge, case experience, and our firm’s many resources to establish the following elements of medical negligence:
- Professional duty of care. We will prove the liable party owed you a professional duty of care because a doctor/patient relationship existed between you and the provider or medical facility.
- Breach of duty. We will show the at-fault party did not treat you according to the accepted standards of the medical profession. To do this, we will collect evidence, including medical records, medical research, expert testimony, eyewitness accounts, and previous allegations (if any) made against the doctor, nurse, staff member, or medical facility.
- Injury. We will show that your SCI resulted from the responsible party’s breach of duty.
- Damages. We will prove your spinal cord injury caused financial losses and pain and suffering.
We Will Handle Every Detail of Your Insurance Claim or Lawsuit
Our compassionate attorneys are here to help with every step of your claim or lawsuit, leaving you free to focus on your health or caring for your injured family member. We can:
- Draft and file insurance claims and related paperwork
- Track and manage case deadlines
- Handle meetings, phone calls, and emails with insurance agents, opposing counsel, and other involved parties
- Negotiate on your behalf
- Protect you from pressure, intimidation, or bad-faith insurance tactics
- Prepare your case for court and represent you at trial if necessary
Our team will be here to answer your questions, address your concerns, and support you throughout the legal process. We will always maintain open lines of attorney/client communication and keep you informed with frequent and timely updates.
Connect With Ged Lawyers for Help From Our Coconut Creek Spinal Cord Injury Attorneys
You have enough on your plate as you cope with your spinal injury and work to get your life back on track. You do not need to add the often-daunting task of seeking medical malpractice compensation.
Allow Ged Lawyers’ personal injury attorneys to guide you through your spinal cord injury claim. Contact us today for a free consultation and learn more about how we can represent you for nothing up front or out of pocket.