No one who is injured while walking down the street should have to foot the bill for their medical expenses or other damages if the crash was someone else’s fault. Unfortunately, without the proper legal help, that may end up being the case. If you’ve suffered injuries after being struck by a motor vehicle, you should have a lawyer protecting your right to compensation.
A Coconut Creek pedestrian accident lawyer at GED Lawyers will be there for you. We have a dedicated personal injury team that can look into the crash, determine liability, calculate the money you deserve, and fight for your right to recover it.
Pedestrians May Be Covered by PIP Insurance, but it Isn’t Enough
You or someone in your household may maintain personal injury protection (PIP) on a vehicle as per Florida’s financial responsibility law, but it is likely inadequate to cover the full extent of your damages after a devastating pedestrian accident. PIP only covers a percentage of your medical expenses and lost wages up to $10,000.
Without filing a personal injury claim, you’d have to find a way to pay for medical treatment and make up for lost income if injuries keep you out of work. Florida law allows injury victims to hold the at-fault party accountable for harming them. You can recover compensatory damages if the driver was negligent. Our Coconut Creek pedestrian accident attorney can help you file a claim for damages that cover:
The liable party must pay for your crash-related economic losses in direct proportion to the size of the loss. For example, a $13,000 surgery for a tibial fracture (a common pedestrian injury) would demand $13,000 in financial recovery. Recoverable economic losses could include:
- Medical treatment costs and travel expenses
- Lost income and opportunities
- Personal property damage
- Replacement household services
- Costs of therapy or mental health counseling
Of course, financial losses aren’t the only kinds of losses a pedestrian accident victim may experience. In fact, in a study of the costs of pedestrian and cyclist accidents, the value of pain and suffering and lost quality of life was the largest contributor to injury costs. A pedestrian accident can drastically affect your mental and physical well-being. That’s why our pedestrian accident lawyers in Coconut Creek, FL work hard to pursue damages for non-economic losses, such as:
- Physical impairment
- Chronic or acute pain
- Scars and disfigurement
- Mental anguish
- Diminished quality of life
- Loss of enjoyment of activities
As these types of damages are non-economic, it can be hard to put a financial figure on them. Our Coconut Creek law firm uses industry methods of calculation combined with information from you, family, friends, associates, and experts regarding several contributing factors to determine an appropriate level of compensation.
Punitive Damages in Pedestrian Accident Cases
Your injury attorney can also determine if you can seek punitive damages after a pedestrian-motor vehicle accident. Under Florida Statute §768.72, the court may award these additional damages to punish the at-fault driver if his actions were deemed to be grossly negligent or intentional. Some cases (such as those involving drunk drivers or hit-and-runs) may have a higher chance of punitive damage recovery.
We Help Families Recover Compensation When Pedestrian Accidents are Fatal
When a pedestrian crash is fatal, the surviving family has a right to seek damages through a wrongful death lawsuit, including:
- Funeral costs
- Lost economic support
- Loss of consortium
- Loss of parental guidance
- Loss of protection
- Emotional distress
- Medical expenses
If you’ve lost someone you love in a pedestrian accident, please accept our sincere condolences. A Coconut Creek pedestrian accident lawyer can explain which family members can collect damages and the specific damages your case may qualify for.
We Protect the Rights of Those Injured in Pedestrian Accidents
Our dedicated staff of professionals has served injury victims in Florida and Massachusetts for more than two decades. A pedestrian accident injury attorney serving Coconut Creek, Florida can stand up to insurance agencies and build a case to fight for your fair compensation. For us, that means:
- Conducting a detailed investigation into the crash that injured you so we can determine how it happened and whether the driver was negligent. The driver may have been driving under the influence, using a cell phone, speeding, or distracted at the time of the collision. We use this information to prove liability and hold the driver and insurer to account.
- Determining your damages to ensure you receive proper compensation for your injuries and losses. Some pedestrian injuries, such as traumatic brain injury or bone fractures, can leave pedestrian victims permanently disabled or battling long-term pain and health complications. We must consider your financial and non-financial losses both presently and in the future.
- Representing your interests in negotiations, prepared to counter any offers that undervalue your claim. Your Coconut Creek accident lawyer can fight for a fair settlement agreement, and if negotiations prove fruitless, we may file a lawsuit against the driver to recover compensation.
Florida’s Statute of Limitations on Pedestrian Accidents
We recommend contacting our law office as soon as reasonably possible about your case. Florida law only provides two years to file a personal injury lawsuit after a pedestrian accident under Florida Statutes §95.11(4)(a). Wrongful death claims are also subject to the two-year deadline. Our Coconut Creek injury lawyer can determine the amount of time you have left to file your accident claim in court and ensure it’s filed on time.
Let Our Coconut Creek Pedestrian Accident Attorneys Fight for You
If you’ve been injured while traveling on foot, you’re already battling enough. You don’t have to face a legal battle alone. A Coconut Creek pedestrian accident lawyer at GED Lawyers can fight for you.