Our Boca Raton personal injury lawyers want you to be aware of some common terms you may hear in the course of filing a claim.
At Ged Lawyers, LLP, we provide trusted, professional legal representation for people who suffer personal injuries. These can occur in a variety of situations, such as in auto accidents or due to slips or falls and getting struck by or against objects. As experienced Boca Raton personal injury lawyers, we help you get the compensation you need to cover your medical costs, lost wages, and other expenses. The following highlights some common terms you are likely to encounter in the course of your case.
Basic Terms in Personal Injury Claims
When personal injuries happen due to the reckless actions of another person, you may be entitled to file a personal injury lawsuit against the at-fault party through the Palm Beach County Civil Court. Basic terms you will encounter in filing your claim include:
- Plaintiff: This is the person filing a lawsuit. In this case, it is the person who suffered personal injuries.
- Defendant: This is the person the lawsuit is filed against, who is alleged to be responsible for the injuries.
- Complaint: These are the legal documents that form the basis of your case, which are filed with the court and served on the defendant.
- Prayer for Relief: This explains the situation and what actions you are requesting the court take on your behalf.
- Damages: This refers to the compensation to which you may be entitled.
Compensation in personal injury lawsuits may include economic damages, which cover the actual costs of your medical care and lost wages. They may also include non-economic damages, such as for the pain and suffering you endured, and punitive damages in cases where the defendant acted in a particularly willful and reckless manner.
Terms to Describe Common Issues in Personal Injury Law
A tort is a wrongful act committed by another person. Personal injury lawsuits all involve torts that are committed on either an intentional or unintentional basis. Guidelines for handling these cases are listed under the Florida Statutes. Common terms you are likely to encounter that describe legal issues in these claims include:
- Negligence: This is at the heart of personal injury cases. It refers to another person taking actions which could cause injuries to another or failing to take certain actions to prevent injuries from occurring.
- Statute of limitations: This is the amount of time allowed for filing your personal injury claim. In Florida, it is generally four years.
- Contributory negligence: This refers to actions you may have taken which contributed to your accident or injuries. While this can reduce the amount of damages you are entitled to, it does not prevent you from filing a claim.
Contact Our Boca Raton Personal Injury Lawyers
At Ged Lawyers, LLP, we provide answers to your questions and guide you through all aspects of filing your personal injury claim. Call or contact our Boca Raton personal injury lawyers online to schedule a consultation today.