What Does a PI Settlement Case Cover?
When accidents happen as a result of another’s negligence, our Boca Raton personal injury lawyers work to ensure you get the maximum amount you are entitled to in a claim.
Personal injuries can keep you from working or engaging in your usual hobbies and activities while resulting in heavy medical expenses, both now and in the years to come. As experienced Boca Raton personal injury lawyers, we provide the trusted legal representation you need when filing a claim. While each case is different, the following outlines some of the general costs a personal injury settlement can cover.
Damages You Suffer as a Result of Personal Injuries
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reports that personal injuries impact close to 30 million people each year. They can happen as a result of motor vehicle accidents, slips, trips, and falls, getting struck by or against objects in public places, or due to defective and dangerous products. Even a relatively minor mishap can end up causing major harm. The accumulated costs of personal injuries total more than $450 billion dollars each year.
While your injuries occur as a result of another’s negligence, you may be entitled to compensation in a personal injury lawsuit, which can help offset your losses. Costs covered in a PI settlement may include:
- Medical expenses: The costs associated with hospital visits, diagnostic testing, treatments, follow-up care, medications, and physical therapy can total hundreds of thousands of dollars.
- Lost wages: In addition to your current lost wages, you could be facing future losses in income due to ongoing medical issues or disabilities.
- Household expenses: Personal injuries can take a toll on your family members and may require you to pay someone to perform household tasks you would otherwise have done yourself.
These are just some of the tangible costs associated with your injuries. They do not include emotional impacts, such as the pain you experience or your sense of loss at not being able to enjoy your usual hobbies and activities.
Compensation Available Through a Personal Injury Settlement
Under the Florida Statutes, compensation in a personal injury lawsuit is referred to as ‘damages.’ Depending on the situation, damages you may be entitled to in a PI settlement include:
- Economic damages: These are designed to cover the actual costs of medical expenses and lost wages you incur, both present and future.
- Non-economic damages: These are intended to reimburse you for the pain, suffering, and loss of enjoyment in life you experience.
- Punitive damages: This is an additional amount the judge may order in cases where the at-fault party acted in a particularly willful and negligent manner.
- Attorney’s fees: These cover the costs associated with filing your personal injury claim.
Let Our Boca Raton Personal Injury Lawyers Assist You
At Ged Lawyers, LLP., we work on a contingency basis, meaning you pay no fees unless we get money for you. To discuss what a PI settlement may cover in your specific case, contact our Boca Raton personal injury lawyers and request a consultation today.