Risperdal, generic name risperidone, is an antipsychotic medicine used for treating symptoms of mania in people with bipolar disorder and schizophrenia symptoms, such as hearing voices, hallucinations, unusual suspicions, and more. It is manufactured by Janssen, L.P., which is a Johnson & Johnson subsidiary. If you or a loved one has suffered any kind of adverse effects because of Risperdal use, you might have a claim against the drug’s manufacturer. Call Ged Lawyers, LLP, to consult with our experienced Florida Risperdal injury attorney to explore your legal options.
Health Risks Related to Risperdal Use
Based on records from the FDA Adverse Event Reporting System (FAERS), as of March 2021, 59,922 Risperdal adverse events or reactions have been reported. 33,541 of those adverse events involved serious injuries, while 3,195 involved deaths. Risperdal could result in severe health risks, including:
- Neuroleptic malignant syndrome – A potentially fatal nervous system disorder that could cause muscle stiffness, high fever, sweating, irregular or fast heartbeat, confusion, and irregular blood pressure. It can likewise negatively impact the kidneys.
- Diabetes and high blood sugar
- Stroke – Older individuals who have been prescribed Risperdal for treating mental illness due to dementia have suffered from strokes. It’s important to note that the FDA did not approve Risperdal for this specific use.
- Tardive dyskinesia – A movement disorder characterized by uncontrollable muscle movements.
- Gynecomastia – This disorder is characterized by abnormal breast enlargement in males. In more severe cases, lactation can even occur. Gynecomastia can only be reversed through a mastectomy or breast reduction surgery.
Risperdal could also cause the following serious side effects:
- Low blood pressure and dizziness
- Fainting spells
- Persistent erection
- Thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura
- Swallowing difficulties
- Sleep disorders
- Decreased sex drive
- Urination problems
- Vision problems
Illegal Tactics Used to Market Risperdal
According to the Department of Justice, thousands of males have alleged that they have developed gynecomastia from taking Risperdal. Also, several lawsuits have been filed against Janssen and Johnson & Johnson that range from side effects the manufacturers didn’t disclose, to how the drug was marketed. In turn, the DOJ ordered the manufacturers to pay approximately $2.2 billion in civil and criminal fines. DOJ investigators aggressively marketed Risperdal to innocent older people, developmentally disabled individuals, and parents of kids with behavioral challenges.
The manufacturers marketed the drug as an effective means for controlling dementia patients in nursing homes and kids with behavioral problems knowing that Risperdal can cause severe side effects in these people. Federal investigators also found that the makers targeted their marketing efforts to institutions and doctors that cared for aging people, knowing full well the risks it can pose to the elderly. Johnson & Johnson even had a special marketing division name, ElderCare, with the sole purpose of promoting Risperdal to older people.
Contact an Experienced Florida Risperdal Attorney Today
Treating serious side effects from Risperdal use will require extensive and costly medical treatments, which can include surgeries, among others. Working with the experienced Florida Risperdal attorneys of Ged Lawyers, LLP, will enable you to obtain proper compensation for your damages. We can help hold the negligent pharmaceutical giants legally liable for your losses and secure the compensation that you deserve. Reach out to us online to arrange a free evaluation of your Risperdal claim.