What to do if Injured During Quarantine
To protect yourself amidst the coronavirus pandemic, it is important to be aware of what to do if personal injuries occur.
Boca Raton residents are under lockdown in an effort to reduce community spread of the coronavirus. During the pandemic, people are still out either working essential jobs or making supply runs to local stores. The stress we are under and the distraction of worrying about loved ones makes accidents resulting in potentially serious personal injuries more likely to happen. The following details how to handle these incidents in a way that protects both your health and your rights to compensation in a claim.
Accidental Injuries That are More Likely to Happen During the Coronavirus Pandemic
On March 26, 2020, the City of Boca Raton issued an emergency order in response to the COVID-19 (coronavirus) pandemic. Following state guidelines, the Stay Home, Stay Safe plan aims at ‘flattening the curve’ by reducing the overall numbers of cases in our area.
While there is a dramatic decrease in the number of people on the road and out in public places, the stress and worry most feel over the situation makes accidental injuries more likely to happen. Common places these are likely to occur and the causes include:
- Local roads and highways: The situation is likely to make drivers more distracted and aggressive on the road.
- Areas near hospitals: Stressed and sleep deprived doctors, nurses, and other hospital staff are more likely to make dangerous mistakes;
- Parking lots: Motorists, bicylists, and pedestrians face increased risks due to crowds and people eager to get in or out of spaces;
- Grocery stores: Aggressive behavior on the part of customers and wet floors, cluttered aisles, and improperly stocked shelves due to a lack of workers can make slips, falls, and other types of accidents more likely to happen.
Steps to Take in the Event of Personal Injuries
In the event of any type of accident, it is important to notify law enforcement or onsite security immediately so that an accident report is filed. In addition to documenting the incident, this provides important evidence when filing a personal injury claim. Unfortunately, the demands of the pandemic mean that you may have to wait longer for help. During this time, be mindful of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) guidelines regarding social distancing and take the following precautions:
- Avoid getting within six feet of anyone.
- When obtaining information about others involved, avoid handling their identification cards and take a cell phone picture instead.
- Use your own pen or your cell phone to jot down information about the accident and witnesses at the scene.
- In light of the pandemic, you may be reluctant to go to local hospitals. Follow your doctor’s advice on the best course of treatment for your injuries.
Our Boca Raton Personal Injury Attorneys are Here to Help
During this difficult time, Ged Lawyers, LLP remains on the job and ready to help when accidents occur. Call or contact our Boca Raton personal injury attorneys online to discuss your case today.