In an area like Estero, boating is a common way of relaxing and a popular recreational activity. While boating can be safe and fun, it can also be quite dangerous. If you were injured in a boating accident, it is possible your injuries and losses were preventable. As a victim, you could have legal options.
To learn more about what you can do next, connect with an Estero boat accident lawyer from GED Lawyers while you still have time to pursue compensation.
Proving Liability in Boat Accident Cases
Proving liability in boat accident cases is important and could be the foundation of winning your case. Understanding the common causes of boat accidents will allow you to evaluate the details of your accident to determine if someone else was at fault. A lawyer can also help you determine the strength of your case.
Possible Causes of Your Lee County Accident
Some factors that could have caused your accident and could be grounds for legal action include but are not limited to:
- Operating a boat without a proper license or necessary experience
- The use of drugs, alcohol, or other mind-altering substances while operating a boat
- Operating a boat in excess of the speed limit
- Failure to use appropriate lanes
- Failing to effectively dock a boat
- Mechanical failures possibly caused by a lack of maintenance
- Too many passengers on a boat
- Choosing to use a boat in choppy or unsafe waters
- Not enough life vests on a boat, which can be dangerous in an emergency situation
- Distractions while boating that can lead to collisions and other dangerous accidents
- Much more
Many boating accidents are caused by gross negligence, referring to the failure of responsible parties to act safely or reasonably. Any boat owner or operator should prioritize safety, and if you were injured because of the carelessness of a third party, negligence could have been a factor, and you could have a case.
A Lawyer Near You Can Help
If you are thinking about hiring a boat accident lawyer serving Estero, there could be many ways a lawyer representing you could be helpful. Possible benefits include:
- Can answer your questions
- Available to explain the claim process and help you understand available compensation
- Investigate the accident
- Collect evidence
- Interview witnesses
- Put the details of your case together to help add strength to your claim
- Assist with legal paperwork, which can save you time and stress
- File your claim and/or lawsuit
- Negotiate with an insurer if necessary
- Take your case to court if a fair settlement is unattainable
- Offer support as you put your life back together
- Keep your case on track
- Much more
Finding a Dedicated Team Near You
While looking for the right legal team near you, consider your priorities. Do you value an experienced team, a history of winning cases, dedication to clients, or other qualities? At GED Lawyers, we embody all these qualities and more as evident in our case results and client reviews. If you are still searching for an Estero boat accident lawyer, consider our team.
Recoverable Compensation for Estero Boat Accident Victims
Following your boating accident, compensation could come in one or more of the following ways:
- Reimbursement for any loss to your personal property, including damage to your boat
- Compensation for healthcare-related bills
- Damages for emotional trauma
- Compensation in wrongful death claims
- If your injuries caused you to miss work, you could recover compensation for your lost wages
- Diminished earning capacity when you return to work
- Damages for your dependents if your injuries impacted their daily life
- Much more
No two accidents are alike, and a lawyer can help you find out exactly what forms of compensation you qualify for.
Common Injuries, Suffering, and Loss
Injuries in boating accidents can range from minor to severe, sometimes even causing permanent or long-term damage. While even minor injuries can be grounds for legal action, more severe types of suffering can result in greater compensatory amounts. In addition to physical injuries, you could experience financial loss and emotional trauma. Some common ways boating accident victims suffer include but are not limited to:
- Cuts, bruises, scrapes, soreness, sprains, and other minor injuries
- Broken bones, dislocations, disfigurement, loss of range of motion, paralysis, nerve damage, injuries to organs, and other types of more severe and possibly permanent injuries
- In tragic cases, it is possible for boating accidents to result in the loss of life, and family members of deceased victims can file claims on their behalf
- Emotional trauma, including but not limited to anxiety, depression, sleeplessness, mood or personality changes, and other forms of trauma
- Lost income
- Lost property value
Every case is unique, and there are many other ways a boating accident could cause you hardship. Whether you suffered a minor injury or have a long-term ailment, the fact is any type of suffering due to a third party’s negligence is unacceptable.
If you think you have a case, a boat accident lawyer serving the Estero area can help you decide if filing a claim is right for you. But remember you do not have an unlimited amount of time to act; filing a claim swiftly could be in your interest.
Your Time to File a Lawsuit Is Limited
Florida’s statute of limitations for personal injury accidents is generally two years (Florida Statutes § 95.11), although the law can be gray when accidents occur in waters governed by multiple states or entities. It could be best to consult with a lawyer if you are wondering exactly how much longer you have to file your lawsuit.
Contact GED Lawyers Today
At GED lawyers, we have a dedicated team standing by to help you during this difficult time in your life. Contact us today for your free consultation and begin your path to a better future. Our Estero boat accident lawyer is ready to fight for justice and fair compensation for you.