Boating in Boca Raton can be fun and exciting. But when an on-the-water excursion ends with an accident, you or someone you love could be left with serious injuries. You can seek the costs of treating your injuries from the boater whose negligence caused the accident. A Boca Raton boat accident lawyer at GED Lawyers can help you file a personal injury insurance claim or lawsuit.
When we represent you, we can request compensation for your medical bills, damaged boat, pain and suffering, and more. Our legal service and support include collecting the evidence that proves your right to recovery. Our Boca Raton personal injury lawyers will handle all aspects of communication, including negotiating for a fair settlement on your behalf.
Commonly Reported Causes of Boat Accidents
A collision between two boats is dangerous and can lead to life-changing injuries. Per U.S. Coast Guard statistics for 2021, frequently reported causes of boating accidents include:
- Alcohol or drug use
- Excessive speed
- Equipment failure
- Fuel or vapor ignition
When a Boca Raton personal injury lawyer represents you, they will gather evidence to prove the at-fault boater’s negligence.
The Legal Elements of Negligence in Boca Raton
Florida law allows you to demand compensation if you can prove the at-fault boater’s negligence. The legal elements of negligence include:
- Duty of care: The boater had a responsibility to operate their vehicle safely.
- Breach of duty: The boater acted carelessly or recklessly.
- Causation: The boater’s actions directly contributed to the collision.
- Damages: Your injuries resulted in negative financial consequences.
We will work to demonstrate that a breach of the at-fault party’s duty of care led to the accident and caused your injuries. We will also try to steer your case toward a settlement and avoid a lengthy court process.
The Jones Act May Apply to Your Case
According to 46 U.S. Code § 30104, “seamen” can seek compensation when injured at work. If you spend at least 30% of your time working on a boat, you may benefit from this law.
Workers’ compensation insurance does not cover most seamen. The Jones Act allows them to sue their employers for work injuries under certain circumstances.
We offer free case reviews to all injured parties. We will listen to the details of your accident and ask basic questions to determine whether the Jones Act applies to you.
Recoverable Damages After a Boating Accident in Florida
Determining the value of your case is critical to ensuring a fair settlement. Once agreed to, a settlement is final and binding. You will not be able to request additional compensation — even for valid damages — later.
Your boat accident lawyer serving clients in Boca Raton can request the following recoverable damages on your behalf:
- Economic damages: Medical bills, lost wages, property damage, and total property loss
- Non-economic damages: Physical and emotional pain and suffering, disability or disfigurement, and diminished quality of life
- Wrongful death damages: Funeral and burial costs, loss of income, loss of consortium, and loss of companionship
Wrongful death compensation is only available to specific family members. If you lost a loved one in a Boca Raton boating accident, we will ensure the appropriate relative files this specific legal action.
Let our case assessment team at GED Lawyers determine the value of your case. Our goal is to ensure your injuries and related expenses are not undervalued or underpaid.
Avoid a Potentially Costly Delay in Seeking Compensation
If your boat accident occurred in Boca Raton, your lawsuit’s timing is governed by Florida Statutes 95.11. You generally have up to:
- Two years from the date of the accident to file a personal injury lawsuit if you or someone you love was injured in the accident
- Two years to file a wrongful death lawsuit if someone you love was fatally injured in the accident
If negotiations are delayed or the insurance company doesn’t make an acceptable offer, we will file your lawsuit within the allotted time. The sooner we are involved in your case, the better. Early intervention means more investigation time and plenty of time to meet the statute of limitations.
Your Boca Raton Boat Accident Attorney Will Build Your Case File
Because our team and the at-fault party’s representatives were not present at the accident scene, we’ll rely on evidence to tell us what happened. The evidence we may collect to establish liability includes:
- Boat accident report
- Coast Guard report
- Medical records
- Witness statements
- Photos and videos
We’ll also collect evidence to prove the accident’s costs. This evidence can include your medical bills, proof of income, boat repair estimates, and boat replacement costs. Let our client support team collect evidence and build your case while you focus on getting better.
See Why Previous Clients Recommend GED Lawyers
When previous personal injury clients recommend our law firm to others, they leave five-star online reviews like the following:
- Kevin Ringo: “GED lawyers got the job done… They made everything very easy and simple for me. This is the third time I have used them, and they came out on top every single time. Would not use another law firm. Maria was fast to respond and explained everything thoroughly.”
- Gregory R: “From the inception of my case to receiving my settlement, GED Lawyers has been phenomenal. My paralegal, Maria Colon has gone out of her way to answer any questions or concerns. Further, my attorney, Michael Westheimer, Esq. has gone out of his way to obtain the best settlement.”
Visit our case results page to see examples of the settlements and verdicts we have obtained for injured clients.
Get Your Free Boat Accident Case Review
If you or someone you love was injured in a collision with another boat in Boca Raton, we will help you fight to hold the at-fault party financially accountable for their actions. A Boca Raton boat accident lawyer from GED Lawyers can work to build a strong case file on your behalf. Get started with a free review of your case by contacting one of our team members today.