Dedicated Florida Accident Attorneys Protect the Rights of Injured Motorcyclists and Their Passengers
When motorcyclists take to the roads, they are subject to the same traffic laws as other vehicles, but they face increased safety hazards. When a motorcycle accident occurs, the smaller size of the bike and its proximity to others on the roadways often brings serious injuries.
The Boca Raton motorcycle accident lawyers at GED Lawyers are dedicated to protecting the rights of injured motorcyclists and their passengers. We have a track record of successfully recovering compensation on their behalf.
Although allowing great freedom on the road, motorcycles present many hazards in an accident setting that passenger vehicles don’t. They also represent far more fatalities. Data from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration reveals that over 5,000 motorcycle riders died in accidents in 2019. Other vehicle occupants might not be as likely to die. This has a lot to do with the design and size of the vehicle itself.
For a free legal consultation with a motorcycle accident lawyers lawyer serving Boca Raton, call (844) 443-3529
The Increased Vulnerability of the Motorcycle Rider
Motorcycles are small and lightweight and rely on balance and momentum to move forward safely. Anything that causes imbalance and lack of momentum can interfere with the motorcycle’s ability to operate safely.
There is significantly less protection in the case of an accident because of the added vulnerability and exposure of the rider. Consequently, even the most minor personal injury accidents can cause serious injuries, including
- Severe fractures and broken bones
- Road rash
- Severe burns and permanent scarring
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries and paralysis
- Back injuries
- Neck and head injuries
- Wrongful death
If you have been seriously injured as a motorcycle rider, you could be entitled to compensation from the at-fault party. Getting the assistance of a motorcycle accident lawyer in Boca Raton can help you understand your legal rights after an accident. At GED Lawyers, we have dedicated our careers to the rights of victims and their families and helping them get the compensation they deserve.
Boca Raton Motorcycle Accident Lawyers Lawyer Near Me (844) 443-3529
Hazards of Riding a Motorcycle That Could Cause Accidents
Riding a motorcycle poses an increased risk of injury due to the unique circumstances surrounding this mode of transportation. Specifically, motorcyclists face the following safety hazards:
- Uneven road surfaces
- Objects in the roadway
- Oil slicks
- Close proximity to other vehicles with no protective barrier
- Cars and trucks on the roadway obstructing the motorcyclists
- High speeds that cause front end shaking and instability due to tire misalignment
Possible Compensation for Injuries Sustained in a Motorcycle Accident
When you have been injured in a motorcycle accident, you might file a personal injury claim if the accident can be attributed to another person or entity’s negligent behavior. This might include driving recklessly or violating traffic laws.
In these situations, personal injury law protects the injured by providing the opportunity to recover compensatory damages. Compensatory damages can return the injured party to the state they were prior to the accident by compensating for:
- Medical expenses
- Loss of income due to time away from work
- Loss of earned sick and vacation time
- Mental anguish
- Pain and suffering
Damages such as medical bills and loss of income are measurable. Their value is straightforward. Damages such as mental anguish or pain and suffering are immeasurable, and the court will use its discretion to assign value.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Understanding Legal Requirements for Motorcycle Riders in Florida
You have to do certain things to ride motorcycles in Florida, including:
Secure a Motorcycle Endorsement on Your License
The Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles states that a rider must have a motorcycle endorsement on their driver’s license to lawfully operate a motorcycle in Florida. This requires proof of specialized training in the laws and operation of motorcycles.
Following Helmet and Eyewear Laws
Florida has existing helmet laws, but they are lenient compared to most other states. Under the current Florida motorcycle helmet law, riders over the age of 21 are not required to wear helmets if they carry a minimum of $10,000 in medical insurance benefits that will cover their own injuries. Eye protection is required, however.
Riders under the age of 21 must wear a helmet that meets the safety standards of Federal Motorcycle Vehicle Safety Standard 218. These standards ensure proper fit with enough coverage to reduce the risk of head injuries.
You Do Not Need Insurance, But It Wouldn’t Hurt To Purchase It
A rider doesn’t need insurance to ride. However, many riders choose to follow the passenger vehicle guidelines of securing a minimum of $20,000 in total bodily injury coverage and $10,000 coverage for property damage and bodily injury per person, or a $30,000 per incident limit.
How Does Not Wearing a Helmet Affect an Injury Claim?
Regardless of whether a rider chooses to wear a helmet, they are still entitled to be fairly compensated for their injuries. While insurance companies may use many tactics to reduce or deny that compensation, a rider is still entitled to fair compensation regardless of whether they choose to wear a helmet or not. Not wearing a helmet, however, can result in reduced compensation for head or facial injuries sustained in an accident.
Our motorcycle accident lawyers can assist you if you are struggling to get fairly compensated by insurance. At GED Lawyers, we can help. While some insurance companies may be biased against riders, we know their tactics and how to hold them accountable.
Insurance Bias and Motorcycle Accidents
While Florida embraces motorcycle riders with more lenient helmet laws, insurance bias against riders is alive and well here. Many riders have found out the hard way that navigating an accident claim is very different for car accident victims and motorcycle riders.
The reason for this is an inherent bias against riders in the insurance industry. Consequently, it may be more difficult for a rider to get fairly compensated for injuries after an accident. This is where the guidance of a motorcycle accident lawyer can help.
Deadline for Filing a Personal Injury Claim in Florida
Every state has deadlines for filing a lawsuit in the state’s civil court system, known as the statute of limitations. In Florida, the statute of limitations for personal injury lawsuits is four years from the time the accident took place. This is a firm legal deadline.
Individuals who do not file their personal injury lawsuit within this four-year window will not have their case heard in court. They will also lose the opportunity to recover compensation for the injuries they sustained in the motorcycle accident.
In addition to the four-year filing deadline for personal injury lawsuits set forth in Florida Statutes § 95.11, there are two other deadlines you might need to know about Boca Raton motorcycle accidents:
- If your close relative died because of a Boca Raton motorcycle accident, you only have two years to file a wrongful death lawsuit, according to Florida Statutes § 95.11.
- If you think that a municipality’s negligence might have caused or contributed to the motorcycle accident, you must file a written claim within six months of the injury under Florida Statutes § 768.28(6)(a)(1).
With so much at stake, you will want to talk to our motorcycle accident lawyers right away.
Testimonials From Our Clients
You deserve to hear directly from our clients to find out how hard we work and how we treat our clients. We have hundreds of reviews. Here, in their own words, are just a few examples of our many 5-star reviews from our clients:
- “We are so grateful to Mark Packo and Yesenia Roques. Yesenia Roques went over and beyond our needs throughout the case. She was always available to answer my parents calls at all times even after hours. She guided us through every process with high level professionalism and even cared like a family member when my dad went through brain surgery. We would highly recommend this team for personal injury attorney.” Denise A.
- “I had a great experience working with GED Lawyers, they were great at communicating with me and I found them very helpful. They were also caring and they advocated for and represented me very well producing a positive outcome! Very professional as well, definitely recommend.” Andrea E.
- “Loved working with everyone at GED Lawyers especially Maria Colon! They ensured that I received the best care from the best chiropractor in my area, they helped me when enterprise was refusing to give me a rental, and they did great with negotiating my settlement. Their office was 3+ hours away from where my accident happened and from where I am currently living as they still came through whenever I was in need. Everything was done through phone calls, email, and text and I never doubt them and their ability. If anything is to happen to you I would definitely call the police first then make sure you give GED Lawyers a call second! They will help you through entire process! Thank you for you help!” Lydia A.
- “Best legal advice and service from GED LAWYERS, LLP! To have the right attorney lawyers means you’ve everything when unfortunate events happen in our lives. They were very attentive and responsive to my case. The end results were so effective. Very pleased!” Ameer A.
When life takes an unexpected turn like a motorcycle accident, you can turn to a Boca Raton lawyer at GED Lawyers to go after the compensation you deserve. We take on the billion-dollar insurance companies so you can rest and get better. You do not have to go through this experience alone.
We Protect Your Rights and Advocate on Your Behalf After a Motorcycle Accident
If you have been involved in a motorcycle accident, you might face serious injury and significant medical expenses related to your treatment and recovery. At GED Lawyers, our motorcycle accident attorneys can fight on your behalf for the compensation you need.
Contact our office for a free case review to discuss your case. The attorneys at GED Lawyers represent a diverse clientele, with multilingual services available in Arabic, Creole, Greek, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Turkish, and other languages.