It’s a frightening experience to be walking down the sidewalk in a public space when suddenly you’re bitten by a dog that was not leashed or properly fenced in. The dog’s owner and/or the property owner may have been responsible for permitting the dog to be in harm’s way with you or your loved one. In most dog bite cases, someone can be held responsible. That person is usually the owner but can sometimes be the dog’s primary caregiver.
If you were bitten by a dog in Boca Raton, you may be able to recover financial compensation from the dog’s owner. A financial award that could help you pay your medical bills, lost income, pain and suffering, and more. A Boca Raton dog bite lawyer with GED Lawyers can lead your case for damages. You can call us today to learn more about your options for recovery during a free consultation.
Recoverable Damages in a Boca Raton Dog Bite Case
Dog bite victims can seek to recover the financial and non-financial damages they suffered in the attack. The kinds of injuries you suffered, your medical treatment, and your expected recovery time can factor into the damages you can request from the liable party. Our Boca Raton dog bite lawyer can review the incident and advise you on what financial awards you could receive, such as:
- Your medical expenses (e.g., your emergency room care, hospital stays, surgeries, imaging tests, physical rehabilitation costs, medications)
- Lost income to replace the money you lost while away from work
- Reduced or lost earning ability due to the animal attack (temporary or permanent)
- Pain and suffering
- Therapy and counseling to deal with the traumatic aftermath of the dog bite attack
- Permanent scarring and/or disfigurement
- Loss of life enjoyment
- Loss of companionship
- Wrongful death damages (if you lost a loved one dog bite attack in Boca Raton)
How GED Lawyers Can Help Your Boca Raton Dog Bite Case
Our family-owned personal injury law firm sets out to recover compensation for our clients while being there for them through difficult times and personal challenges. If you or a loved one was bitten by a dog anywhere in the Boca Raton, Florida area, we urge you to get in touch with us as soon as you can. Seek medical care first and document your injuries. Afterward, you can call us for help with your potential case.
Our Boca Raton dog bite lawyer will manage your whole case while you recover from your injuries. The firm’s investigators can evaluate the conditions under which the dog bite occurred and determine who was at fault.
Additionally, our attorney can:
- Gather evidence that proves your case against the liable party (e.g., the official police report, photographs of the accident scene, photos and/or video footage of your injuries, witness statements)
- Review your losses to determine what compensation to request from the liable party
- Handle the liable party’s insurer, legal representative, and others
- Negotiate a fair settlement with the liable party’s insurer on your behalf
- Prepare and file legal action within Florida’s statute of limitations deadline if we cannot reach a settlement in your case
Factors to Consider After a Dog Bite Attack Occurs in Boca Raton
After a dog bite occurs, you should record notes about what happened. Try your best to recall the sequence of events that led up to the attack. Some questions you can ask are:
- Where was the dog contained and was it in a secured area?
The owner is legally responsible for posting warning signs and keeping gates fastened.
- Has the dog bitten anyone before? If so, it could likely bite someone again.
Did the dog escape from its owner’s property, or was the property itself not properly secure?
We encourage you to pursue damages to recover your dog bite-related expenses. Also, filing a lawsuit against an owner with the help of a Boca Raton personal injury lawyer may help prevent others from being bitten later.
Under What Circumstances Does a Dog Bite Warrant a Lawsuit?
According to Florida Statutes § 767.04, a dog’s owner is responsible for any harm and damages the animal causes another person. This means that if you’ve had medical bills because of a dog bite, the dog’s owner must pay them. Florida law makes it clear that the dog’s owner is liable, no matter if the attack takes place on public property or on the dog owner’s private property.
It also does not matter if the dog’s owner knew or did not know about the dog’s viciousness. Our Boca Raton dog bite lawyer will seek fair compensation for your injuries from the dog’s owner.
Common Injuries in Boca Raton Dog Bite Attacks
As the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) explains, dogs can bite for any reason, even when they feel afraid or nervous. They can also attack while eating or playing with their toys. Some dog bite injuries are serious and even fatal, so victims should take care to treat any wounds, even ones that are seemingly minor.
In many dog bite cases, victims tend to be young children, which are the most common dog bite victims and face the highest risk, the CDC says. Senior adults are also at risk of suffering a dog bite. Dog bite injuries usually require immediate medical attention from a medical professional. Some may require plastic surgery.
Common dog bite injuries include the following:
- Facial injuries
- Muscle aches and pain
- Swelling, redness
- Scratches and abrasions
- Puncture wounds
- Broken bones
- Traumatic head and/or brain injuries
- Spinal cord, neck, and/or back injuries
- Mental and/or emotional trauma after the attack (e.g., post-traumatic stress disorder)
Statute of Limitations for Boca Raton Dog Bites
If you or a loved one has been bitten by a dog, you generally have two years to file a suit, according to Florida Statutes § 95.11(3)(a). If the dog bite led to a loved one’s wrongful death, the state’s statute of limitations is two years, according to Florida Statutes § 95.11(4)(d).
Our dog bite lawyer handling injury cases in Boca Raton can advise you on the timelines and deadlines for your case after learning more about what happened. You can get in touch with us now to discuss your situation during a free, no-obligation consultation.
Don’t Delay: Call GED Lawyers Today for Legal Help for a Boca Raton Dog Bite Injury
If you’ve been bitten by a dog in Boca Raton, GED Lawyers wants to help. We offer a free case review where we’ll listen to your experience and advise you on how to proceed. If you were bitten by a dog but are unsure about whether the dog’s owner is liable, we know state and local laws and can advise you accordingly. Contact us for a free consultation so that we can start working for you.