Distracted driving is dangerous, so motorists who do not pay attention behind the wheel should be financially responsible for the accidents they cause. Fortunately, if you or your loved one suffered injuries and damages in a Boca Raton car accident resulting from driver inattention, our Boca Raton personal injury lawyers at GED Lawyers can help you seek the compensation you need to get back on your feet.
Our Boca Raton distracted driving accident lawyers can help you with an auto insurance claim or personal injury lawsuit against the liable party. We have fought for injured Floridians since 1995 and can put decades of personal injury legal experience behind recovering your medical expenses, lost income, and more.
We Can Seek Car Accident Compensation From a Distracted Driver in Boca
In general, our car accident lawyers serving Boca Raton can pursue financial awards from the distracted driver who hurt you or your loved one, such as:
- Medical bills. Our lawyers can seek reimbursement for current medical expenses and necessary future treatment, including emergency services, surgeries, hospital and doctor’s expenses, medications, mobility aids, rehabilitation and physical therapy, extended nursing, and life care costs.
- Pain, suffering, and inconvenience. You deserve compensation for how your injury negatively affects your quality of life. We can seek monetary awards for disfigurement, scarring, disability, depression, post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), anxiety, mental and emotional anguish, and loss of enjoyment.
- Income, benefits, and earnings. If you cannot work due to your distracted driving accident injury, we can recover your back pay and other lost earnings. In addition, if your injuries alter your ability to earn the same living as before your accident, we can seek awards for your lost earning capacity.
- Personal property and miscellaneous losses. We can seek awards to pay for vehicle repairs or your car’s replacement value. We can also seek the value of other damaged personal items like cell phones, jewelry, or laptops. In addition, we can review your case to identify other out-of-pocket expenses, such as rental car fees, medically necessary home or vehicle modifications, and the cost of hiring help with household services like cooking, cleaning, and lawn care.
- Wrongful death. If your loved one sustained a fatal injury, we can assist their personal representative (executor) with seeking wrongful death compensation in Boca Raton on behalf of their estate and its beneficiaries. Damages may include medical expenses, funeral and burial expenses, lost income, and loss of the deceased’s support, services, guidance, and protection. Qualifying survivors may also pursue awards for mental pain and suffering caused by the loss of their family member.
What Happens if an At-Fault Driver Does Not Have Insurance?
Though Florida mandates the purchase of PIP insurance and property damage liability (PDL), not all drivers follow the law. In fact, the Insurance Information Institute (III) reports that around 20 percent of the state’s motorists do not have insurance. In addition, bodily injury liability (BIL) is not compulsory, so even drivers who purchase obligatory coverage may be underinsured if they do not have BIL and cause an accident involving serious injuries.
For these reasons, having an uninsured/underinsured (UM/UIM) policy can be vital, and we encourage all drivers to purchase this coverage. If you have UM/UIM protection, we can work with your insurer after an accident to secure fair compensation, even if the driver who hit you does not have insurance.
Our Firm Has Recovered Millions of Dollars for Personal Injury Clients
At GED Lawyers, we have one overarching goal — to achieve the most successful possible case outcome for you and your family. Therefore, we negotiate on behalf of our clients to secure the maximum available settlement. However, we will not back down from going to trial if needed; we even hold mock trials/court proceedings to prepare for legal action.
Our recent motor vehicle accident case results include:
- A $7.13 million verdict for a commercial trucking accident in Boca Raton
- A $1.4 million car wreck case verdict
- A $1 million verdict for a T-bone car accident
- A $500,000 motorcycle accident settlement
What Causes Distracted Driving?
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), a distraction is anything that takes your attention away from driving safely. Common distractions include:
- Texting (which is illegal under Florida Statutes § 316.305)
- Eating and drinking
- Grooming (e.g., looking in the mirror)
- Radio and navigation controls
- Other passengers
- Events outside the vehicle
The above distractions and more can cause a motorist to speed, run a red light, drift out of their lane, or make another mistake that can lead to an accident. If distracted driving is at the root of your collision, we will prove your entitlement to compensation.
Our team will assist with every aspect of your case so you can turn your time and energy toward healing or caring for your hurt family member. We can:
- Collect evidence proving your account of the accident, such as police reports, witness statements, and surveillance and dashcam video.
- Identify your losses and pursue the maximum possible settlement.
- Draft and file your insurance claims, lawsuits, and related paperwork.
- Handle all case-related communications.
- Negotiate on your behalf, stand up for your rights, and push back against bad faith tactics.
- Represent you at trial if necessary.
How Long Do You Have to Take Action Against a Distracted Driver?
According to HB 837, you have two years from your accident to file a personal injury lawsuit. Florida Statutes § 95.11 also allows two years from your loved one’s death to file a wrongful death action. However, if your case involves a UM/UIM claim, the statute of limitations is five years to sue for a breach of contract.
Failure to act before these deadlines likely leads to a case dismissal or a reduced/denied settlement. We can help you get started before time runs out.
Contact GED Lawyers for a Free Consultation After a Distracted Driving Accident in Boca
Contact GED Lawyers today for a free consultation. A team member can tell you more about working with our Boca Raton distracted driving lawyers and how we can take your case for nothing upfront or out of pocket.