Spinal Cord Injuries Lead to a Host of Issues For Victims
How spinal cord injuries can have long-term affects
Spinal cord injuries can happen in a number of ways, and the results can be devastating. Severe pain, steep medical bills, and overall financial hardship are but a few of the issues that the sufferers of spinal cord injuries typically experience. The spinal cord is damaged when a severe force dislocates or fractures one or more of its vertebrae, resulting in displaced bone fragments, ruptured disc material, or torn ligaments. In addition, accidents can cause the spinal cord to be pinched, partially severed, or totally severed. Common physical effects and symptoms of spinal cord injuries include:
- Breathing problems
- Extreme back pain
- Pressure in the head, back, or neck
- Bodily weakness
- Numbness, tingling, or loss of sensation in the fingers, hands, toes, or feet
- Loss of bladder control
- Loss of bowel control
- Difficulty walking
- Difficulty balancing
- Loss of movement
- Loss of bodily sensation
- Changes in sexual function
Spinal cord injuries can occur in a number of ways, including the negligence of others. And when a spinal cord injury is caused by another person’s negligent behavior, the victim may be entitled to financial compensation for his or her injuries. Common sources of spinal cord injuries include:
- Automobile accidents – Car, truck, and motorcycle accidents are one of the most common sources of spinal cord injuries in Florida. Injuries suffered in automobile accidents tend to be severe due to the force of impact that is often suffered by drivers and passengers.
- Falls – Falls are another common source of spinal cord injuries in Florida, particularly among the elderly population. In addition, slip-and-fall accidents caused by the negligence of business owners are a frequent source of such injuries.
- Violent acts – Many spinal cord injuries are the result of violent attacks. Gunshot and knife wounds typically reach the spine, resulting in minor to severe spinal cord injuries. The perpetrators of such acts often face both criminal and civil liability.
At GED Lawyers, LLP, we are a results-driven law firm, and we’re always ready and willing to fight for your legal rights to compensation after an accident resulting in injury. As experienced attorneys, we know what it takes to aggressively pursue your personal injury claim. In addition, we are well aware of how difficult life is hindered by a spinal cord injury. Therefore, we’re passionate about helping you obtain financial compensation and get your life back on track. If you’ve suffered a spinal cord injury, please call 561-995-1966 or use our online contact form To schedule a free case review.