If you suffered serious injuries in a motorcycle accident but are unsure how to make the liable party pay, reach out to a Middleton motorcycle accident lawyer at GED Lawyers for legal guidance and support.
With our firm by your side, you can heal from your injuries while we focus on the legal details of your case. So schedule your free consultation today to learn more about what your next steps should be.
When to Sue for a Motorcycle Accident in Middleton
You may not be sure whether you should contact a lawyer for help following your motorcycle accident. However, when you are lying in your hospital bed, considering your next steps, it is important to consider how your injuries have affected your life.
This is not to say you must have suffered critical or life-threatening injuries to be entitled to financial compensation. However, if your injuries have substantially impacted your life, you may need assistance getting through these difficult times.
Compensation will not change what you have been through, but it could help set you up for a more comfortable future. With that being said, your motorcycle accident attorney will also need to show that someone else is responsible for causing your injuries.
This could be through negligence or an intentional act. However, if someone else is at fault for your injuries, they should be compelled to cover your damages in their entirety.
For a free legal consultation with a motorcycle accidents lawyer serving Middleton, call (561) 995-1966
Proving Liability in Motorcycle Accidents
Proving fault will be one of your lawyer’s most important responsibilities. Several parties could share liability for your motorcycle accident injuries in Middleton. Some of these parties include
- Government agencies – When dangerous road conditions cause motorcycle accidents, the government agencies responsible for road safety, maintenance, and integrity could be responsible for victims’ injuries. Some examples of cases where government agencies could be held accountable include unsealed potholes, missing street signs or lamps, and unsecured road construction zones.
- Negligent drivers – Irresponsible and reckless drivers are one of the most common causes of motorcycle accidents across Massachusetts. Some examples of negligent driving include speeding, following too closely, distracted driving, drunk driving, driving under the influence of drugs, driving while fatigued, aggressive driving, failure to yield to the right of way, and more.
- Dram shops – Dram shops are retail shops and restaurants that sell or serve alcohol. If these dram shops sell or serve alcohol to someone already under the influence of drugs or alcohol, and that party later goes on to cause a collision, they can be held accountable for the victim’s damages.
- Auto parts manufacturers and distributors – Defective and malfunctioning motor vehicle parts have been known to cause life-threatening and fatal motorcycle accidents. Other parties who could share liability include auto parts designers and suppliers, motor vehicle dealerships, safety inspectors, maintenance technicians, and more.
Middleton Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Near Me (561) 995-1966
How Massachusetts Shared Fault Laws Work
Sharing fault for your motorcycle accident will not prevent you from recovering compensation for your damages as long as your portion of fault does not exceed 51%.
Massachusetts follows a modified comparative negligence system with a 51% threshold. However, you will still need to be held accountable for your portion of liability. To do this, the civil courts will reduce your injury settlement based on the percentage of liability you share.
For example, if you were not wearing your motorcycle helmet when a drunk driver struck you, the judge might find you 10% responsible for your damages. If the jury awarded you $5 million for your injuries, your $5 million injury settlement would be reduced by 10%. This would leave you with $4,500,000.
If you have questions or concerns regarding how Massachusetts shared fault laws will impact your injury settlement, do not hesitate to contact your lawyer for clarity and support.
Click to contact our Middleton Personal Injury Lawyers today
Insurance Claims for Motorcyclists
Dealing with the insurance company can be challenging. Motorcyclists are at an increased risk of being taken advantage of by insurance adjusters looking for opportunities to deny your claim.
If the insurance company can argue that you are a reckless driver who has no regard for their safety or anyone else on the road, they may be able to reduce your injury settlement legally.
Fortunately, your motorcycle accident lawyer will be by your side, protecting you from being taken advantage of during your greatest time of need. We will never allow the insurance company to lowball you or force you to accept an insurance settlement that is less than you deserve.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Recoverable Damages in Motorcycle Accident Cases
Motorcycle accident injuries have been known to be devastating. Victims do not only suffer physically but psychologically and financially as well. Fortunately, you have the right to be made whole. This means you should be compensated for every loss you have suffered related to your motorcycle accident.
Some of the more common types of physical damages you could recover include:
- Physical pain and suffering
- Skin scarring
You also have the right to recover psychological damages. This would also include areas of your life affected by your injuries, some of which might include:
- Diminished quality of life
- Loss of consortium
- Emotional distress
- Reputational damage
Your attorney can quantify your financial or economic damages through receipts, bank statements, bills, quotes, and other concrete evidence. Some examples of economic damages you could recoup in your motorcycle accident claim include:
- Co-pays, hospital bills, prescription medication fees, transportation costs, ambulance fees, medical equipment expenses, and future medical care
- Loss of income, future potential earnings, bonuses, retirement contributions, and salary increases
- Costs of household upkeep, maintenance, and childcare
- Costs of increased insurance premiums
Discuss Your Case with a Motorcycle Accident Attorney in Middleton Today
When your motorcycle accident injuries have taken a toll on your life, and you need a dedicated legal advocate to help you maximize your compensation, meet with a Middleton motorcycle accident lawyer at GED Lawyers.
Schedule your no-cost, risk-free consultation by filling out our online contact form or calling our office.
Call or text (561) 995-1966 or complete a Free Case Evaluation form