An entire network of pipelines spans the country. While they serve a useful purpose, they are also inherently dangerous.
The United States has an extensive network of pipelines that extends over two million miles. These pipelines transport gas to millions of homes and businesses and they are an extremely important part of our country. Sadly, over time pipelines break down and erode as they age. Local utility companies and pipeline companies do not always replace parts as needed, leaving innocent bystanders at serious risk of injury or death. If you or someone you love has been hurt by a pipeline explosion, it is important to speak to a Boca Raton product liability lawyer for help with your case.
Lawsuits Involving Pipeline Explosions
Pipelines are extremely costly to own and operate. Repairing or replacing damaged or aging pipelines can cost well over $1 million for every mile of pipeline. It is understandable why owners and operators would want to avoid making these costly repairs, even when they are necessary. When an injury or death occurs as a result of a pipeline explosion, there are many different types of lawsuits one can pursue.
- Failing to mark pipeline locations properly: Excavation work requires the underground pipelines to be mapped out to ensure the safety of the people excavating. Contractors that fail to map and mark pipeline locations are negligent and can be held liable.
- Failing to monitor the pipelines: Any party that owns and operates a pipeline must monitor it regularly to ensure the integrity of the structure. When the responsible parties fail to do this and someone becomes hurt, it is grounds for filing a lawsuit.
- Improper installation practices: Technology has allowed many pipelines to be installed in areas they were once unavailable. That has led to a rush of companies installing pipelines and when they do, they often prioritize speed over accuracy.
- Improper training: Working on a pipeline is intricate and dangerous work. All workers must receive proper training and when owners do not want to provide this, they are negligent.
Any time a person is injured in a pipeline explosion due to any of the above reasons, they can file a claim for damages with the owner and operator of the pipeline.
Damages Available in a Pipeline Explosion Claim
Injured individuals and surviving loved ones suffer many losses when they are harmed by a pipeline explosion. By filing a claim, these injured parties can recover compensation to help offset the financial costs of these losses. The most common damages are as follows:
- Compensatory damages, such as medical costs and lost income
- Non-economic damages, including pain and suffering and emotional distress
- Punitive damages meant to punish the defendant for gross negligence
While the damages available in a specific case will vary, a personal injury lawyer can advise on the compensation you can pursue.
Our Product Liability Lawyers in Florida Want to Help with Your Case
Pipeline explosion claims can help you recover the damages you have sustained, but they are not easy to file. At Ged Lawyers, LLP, our product liability lawyers in Boca Raton know how to go up against the big pipeline companies to ensure you recover the full compensation you deserve. Call us today at (561) 995-1966 or contact us online so we can review your case free of charge.