Dog bite injuries can be severe, leaving victims with expensive medical bills. If you were the victim of a dog attack, you may also be dealing with mental trauma and physical pain. You can pursue compensation from the liable party to cover your accident-related expenses.
A Jacksonville dog bite lawyer from GED Lawyers can help you with your case. We can prove liability and seek appropriate compensation on your behalf. Our team can also explain the laws that apply to your dog bite case. You do not have to handle the legal process alone.
Our Jacksonville Dog Bite Attorney Can Handle All the Legal Details of Your Case
When you hire a Jacksonville dog bite lawyer from GED Lawyers, they will be prepared to manage every aspect of your case for you. You can spend your time recovering from your injuries and going to doctor’s appointments. Our team will:
- Investigate your case: Your lawyer will need to understand how the dog bite happened. We can speak to witnesses and analyze evidence in your case to understand how the incident occurred.
- Collect evidence: Part of our investigation will include evidence collection. Photos of your injuries, surveillance footage, witness statements, and medical records can strengthen your case.
- Handle insurance communications: You should not have to worry about communicating with the insurance company or any other party involved in your case after a dog bite incident. We can speak to insurers for you.
- Help you file a claim or lawsuit: You may be able to recover fair compensation through an insurance claim. If we cannot reach a fair settlement through insurance negotiations, we can file a lawsuit against the at-fault party.
- Assign a value to your case: Your dog bite attorney will listen to the details of your case to understand how the incident affected your life. Then, we will assign a monetary value to your case so you can pursue compensation that covers your losses.
Our firm will advocate for you and be accessible to you throughout your case. You do not need to work through the complex legal process by yourself.
Damages You Can Recover After a Jacksonville Dog Bite
After a dog attacks you, you may be able to recover economic and non-economic damages. Economic damages compensate you for the financial losses you sustained because of the incident. Meanwhile, non-economic damages take your intangible losses into consideration.
Economic damages you could recover include:
- Lost income if you needed to take time off work to recover from your dog bite injury
- Reduced earning capacity if your injury limits the type of work you can do
- All the medical bills associated with your dog bite, including ambulance costs, prescription medications, and doctor’s appointments
Your recoverable non-economic damages may include:
- Pain and suffering, for the physical pain the dog bite caused
- Mental anguish if you suffer from anxiety or depression in the aftermath of the dog attack
- Loss of enjoyment of life if you are not able to enjoy the same activities you did before the dog bite incident
Your Jacksonville dog bite lawyer will analyze your case to determine how much money you could recover. The amount of compensation you could receive will depend on the ways the dog bite impacted your life.
How Much Does It Cost to Work with Our Duval County Dog Bite Lawyer?
GED Lawyers aims to make our legal services accessible to our clients. That’s why we work on a contingency-fee basis. This payment arrangement means you do not owe us any money up front or out of pocket. Our firm only receives payment once your case is won or settled.
Even once your case is settled, your lawyer does not expect you to provide any out-of-pocket payments. We take a percentage of your compensation as payment for our services. We also offer free consultations, during which you can speak to a member of our team about your dog bite case at no charge.
You Have a Limited Amount of Time to File a Dog Bite Lawsuit in Jacksonville
We may be able to reach a fair settlement through negotiations with the at-fault party’s insurance company. Your attorney could also file a lawsuit against the liable party to pursue fair compensation. You should be aware of the time limits associated with filing a personal injury lawsuit if you plan to pursue this legal option.
In Jacksonville, you typically have four years to file a personal injury lawsuit, per Florida Statutes § 95.11. If you miss this deadline, you may not be able to recover compensation. We recommend you get an early start on your case.
Getting started on your case early has other benefits, too. For example, your legal team will have more time to investigate your case and speak to witnesses. We can gather evidence that may no longer be available after a certain amount of time.
Jacksonville’s Dog Bite Law May Determine Liability in Your Case
In most dog bite cases, the dog’s owner will be found liable for the dog’s actions. As outlined in Florida Statutes § 767.04, if a person was on public property or legally on private property when they were attacked, the dog’s owner would be held liable. The owner can be held accountable for the dog attack even if the dog had no previous history of violence.
The dog’s owner may not be held liable if the victim displayed negligence. For example, if the victim provoked or threatened the dog, the animal likely attacked out of self-defense. This could reduce the owner’s responsibility to compensate the victim.
An owner may also be relieved from liability if they hung a “Bad Dog” sign on their property. This sign must be placed in a noticeable location to warn visitors that the dog could attack. Our team will listen to the details of your case to determine if liability falls on the dog’s owner.
Contact GED Lawyers to Get Started with Our Jacksonville Dog Bite Attorney
You have legal options after suffering a dog bite. Our Jacksonville dog bite lawyer can work with you to seek compensation from the at-fault party. We have the experience needed to advocate for you throughout your case.
Reach out to us for a free consultation. You can contact a member of our team 24/7 and discuss your case. Call us today to get started. If you have a moment, check out our case results, too, to see what we’ve accomplished for previous clients.