If your home or business sustained wind damage during a severe weather event, you may qualify for compensation through your property insurance. A Sarasota, FL, wind damage lawyer with GED Lawyers can review your policy and help you recover a settlement to pay for structural repairs, damaged belongings, and other covered losses.
Our firm has served Florida clients since 1995. Our property damage attorneys can put their knowledge and experience behind securing the most advantageous resolution possible for your claim. Let us deal with the insurance company while you focus on fixing your damages and restoring your life.
Most Florida Property Insurance Policies Include Wind Damage Coverage
According to Florida Statutes § 627.712, insurance companies must provide Florida residents with windstorm coverage as part of their property insurance. Therefore, unless you expressly opted out of the coverage, your policy likely includes some wind damage protection. Our Sarasota lawyers can help you understand your insurance policy and seek the compensation your insurer owes for your covered losses.
In general, most property insurance policies include the following:
- Structural damage. We can help you recover the cost of repairing the roof, windows, doors, walls, flooring, or any other structural components of your covered home or business. Most policies also include compensation for damages to sheds, garages, carports, gazebos, and other buildings on the insured property.
- Household and personal items. Property insurance also covers the contents of your insured building. Therefore, we can help you pursue a fair settlement for damaged household items and personal belongings, including furnishings, appliances, electronics, jewelry, clothing, and more.
- Additional living expenses (ALEs). ALEs pay for living costs beyond your normal expenses, including hotel stays, storage fees, pet boarding fees, and restaurant meals.
- Liability. If another party suffered personal injuries or property damages on your premises, your liability coverage may pay for their medical expenses and other losses.
There Is a Deadline for Filing Your Claims
According to Florida Statutes § 627.70132, you have three years to file a property insurance claim based on damage caused by severe rains, windstorms, hurricanes, tornados, or other weather-related events. The clock starts when the storm that caused your damage makes landfall. So, for example, if your wind damage occurred due to Hurricane Ian, you have until Sept. 28, 2025, to seek a settlement.
However, you should document your damages and get started on your claim as soon as possible. Waiting to file could give the insurance company reason to allege your damage was not caused by high wind or another covered issue. Additionally, if you must pursue a lawsuit to recover your losses, you have four years to do so under Florida Statutes § 95.11. Our attorneys can help you meet all case-related deadlines.
For a free legal consultation with a wind damage lawyer serving Sarasota, call (561) 995-1966
Our Sarasota Attorneys Will Stand Up to the Insurance Company
As long as you are up to date on your policy, getting an insurance settlement to pay for your wind damage should be easy, right? Wrong. Sometimes, property insurance claims can become complex, and insurers often look to deny, delay, or reduce your payment.
Fortunately, our Sarasota wind damage lawyer can communicate with the insurance company on your behalf. We will protect your rights, stand up to bad-faith insurance tactics, and protect you from potential pitfalls. We can help if your insurer:
- Undervalues your damaged property or the cost of repairs
- Refuses to pay for covered loses
- Attempts to blame you for the damages
- Alleges your damages are not wind or weather-related
- Does not honor the contractual conditions of your insurance policy
- Violates Florida’s insurance regulations
We Will Protect Your Rights Under Florida Law
Florida’s Homeowner Claims Bill of Rights, outlined in Florida Statutes § 627.7142, states that:
- Your insurer has 14 days from the time you submit your claim to send you acknowledgment.
- If requested in writing, your insurance company has 30 days from when it receives your Proof of Loss Statement to confirm whether it will pay all or part of your settlement, deny your claim, or investigate.
- The insurance company must pay the covered portion of your losses within 90 days of when you submitted your claim.
- If the insurance company does not pay you within 90 days, it owes you interest
- You have the right to resolve claims disputes through free media via the Division of Consumer Services.
Our Sarasota wind damage lawyers will ensure the insurance company adheres to its legal obligations, including responding to your claims and remitting payment in a timely fashion. Our Florida attorneys can also represent you during meditation or a lawsuit if necessary.
We Will Handle Your Claim from Start to Finish
GED Lawyers wants to make securing your wind damage settlement as easy and stress-free for you and your family as possible. We can:
- Document your damage using itemized lists, photographs, videos, bills, receipts, and estimates for repairs
- Calculate and pursue a fair settlement for your losses
- Handle emails, phone calls, and meetings with the insurance company, opposing attorneys, and other involved parties
- Consult with witnesses and experts to prove a covered weather event caused your wind damages
- Manage case paperwork and deadlines
- Aggressively negotiate on your behalf
- Take legal action if needed
Our attorneys and staff strive to offer compassionate, personalized legal services. We genuinely care about the outcome of your claim, and a team member is available 24/7 to answer your questions, address your concerns, and provide you with updates.
We can meet with you where and whenever is convenient. We make weekend appointments and can travel to your location. Additionally, our multilingual, multicultural staff speaks Spanish, Arabic, Creole, Greek, Portuguese, Russian, and Turkish.
Sarasota Wind Damage Lawyer Near Me (561) 995-1966
Contact GED Lawyers for a Free Consultation
Contact GED Lawyers today for a free consultation and connect with a Sarasota wind damage attorney near you. We can tell you more about our services and our contingency fee payment plan, which allows you to retain a lawyer for no upfront or out-of-pocket cost. We only get paid if we win compensation for your Florida property damages.
Call or text (561) 995-1966 or complete a Free Case Evaluation form