High winds can severely damage your home or business, leading to costly repairs and other financial hardships. You may be able to secure an insurance settlement to pay for your property damage and related losses. However, getting the compensation you need can be a complex and sometimes frustrating process, especially if you and your insurer dispute your policy’s terms or the value of your claim.
Let a Panama City wind damage lawyer with GED Lawyers take the burden of seeking fair financial recovery off your shoulders. Our firm can review your policy, identify your covered damages, and fight for the most advantageous settlement possible.
Our Florida Attorneys Will Pursue Your Wind Damage Losses in Panama City
Panama City is no stranger to extreme weather and high winds. If your home, business, or other insured structure suffered wind damage during a tropical storm, Hurricane Ian, March 2022’s EF-2 tornado, or another severe weather event, our Florida personal injury lawyers can help you identify and pursue your covered losses. In general, a property damage settlement may include:
- Structural damage. We can recover awards to pay for cleanup and repairs to the roof, windows, flooring, doors, and other structural components of your home or business. Coverage usually extends to other buildings on the insured property (such as carports, garages, or storage sheds) and damaged trees, shrubs, and landscaping.
- Personal belongings and household items. Most property insurance policies pay for damages to the contents of the insured property. We can help you seek the cost of repairing or replacing furniture, electronics, appliances, art, collectibles, clothing, jewelry, and other valuables.
- Living expenses. If you must move away from Panama City, FL, because of wind damage, we can pursue costs your additional living expenses (ALEs). Coverage may include hotel stays, rental car fees, laundry services, meals, and other expenses that go above and beyond your everyday living costs.
- Liability and medical payments. We can ensure your liability protection pays for medical bills and other losses if another party suffered injuries or property damage at your Panama City home or business.
- Commercial losses. If a commercial policy insures your business, you may qualify for additional damages, including compensation for damaged or spoiled stock, interruption of utilities and other services, and lost business.
For a free legal consultation with a wind damage lawyer serving Panama City, call (561) 995-1966
Reasons an Insurance Company May Deny Your Wind Damage Claim
Insurance is a business, and your insurance company’s goal is to make a profit. One way insurance companies can increase their revenue is by keeping settlements as low as possible. To that end, your insurer may look for reasons to reduce, delay, or deny your payment.
Our Panama City wind damage lawyers can help you avoid common issues that could hurt your chances of securing fair compensation, including:
- Failing to document your property damage promptly
- Failing to document repair costs
- Failing to prevent further damage
- Not adhering to the conditions outlined in your insurance policy
- Failing to prove high winds caused your damages (versus an uncovered issue or the policyholder’s negligence)
- Failing to adhere to deadlines
Our Attorneys Will Protect Your Rights
You have rights as an insured property owner under Florida law, including the right to windstorm coverage under Florida Statutes § 627.712.
Additionally, the Homeowner Claims Bill of Rights (Florida Statutes § 627.7142) requires that insurance companies respond to your claims and remit payment promptly. The law also gives policyholders the right to resolve claims disputes via free mediation through Florida’s Division of Consumer Services.
Our lawyers can ensure that insurance companies adhere to the law and their contractual obligations. We will protect your interests, defend you from bad-faith insurance tactics, and work to resolve issues that could jeopardize your potential settlement. Our team will also handle case-related paperwork, deadlines, and communications so that you can focus on fixing your property and getting back on your feet.
Panama City Wind Damage Lawyer Near Me (561) 995-1966
What Should You Do If Your Panama City, FL, Property Sustained Wind Damage?
High winds can damage roofs and external walls, break windows, tear off doors and shutters, hurl objects and debris into buildings, and more. If your home or business sustained wind damage in the Panama City area, doing the following can prevent further damage and help with your insurance claims:
- Document your damages using photographs and video, and make an itemized list of damaged household and personal items
- Cover broken windows and doors
- Fortify your roof and cover any openings
- If you lose power, unplug appliances to prevent surge damages
- Trim damaged or loose tree branches that could fall onto your home or property
- Seal large holes, cracks, or gaps to prevent water from entering your home
- Document any repairs you make and save all related bills, receipts, and estimates
File Your Wind Damage Insurance Claim Before Time Runs Out
According to Florida Statutes § 627.70132, you generally have three years to file an insurance claim to recover property damages caused by “hurricanes, tornadoes, windstorms, severe rain, or other weather-related events.” The clock usually starts on the date the storm made landfall. However, if you must take legal action to recover your losses, you have four years to file a lawsuit under Florida Statutes § 95.11(3)(a).
Our Panama City wind damage lawyer can help you understand your coverage, document and catalog your losses, and file your claim before time runs out. We will fight to negotiate a fair settlement. But, if necessary, we can pursue your case in civil court before the statute of limitations expires.
Call GED Lawyers for Help With Recovering Your Panama City, FL, Wind Damages
Since 1995, GED Lawyers has helped clients recover the compensation that can help them recover from natural disasters and other injuries and losses. We know that dealing with the insurance company can be stressful, and you likely have enough on your plate as your work to repair your home or business. Our Florida property damage attorneys can take care of your legal or insurance issues, leaving you free to focus on more pressing matters.
Furthermore, we work on contingency, meaning we do not charge upfront attorney’s fees to start and complete your case. Our lawyers receive payment only if and when they secure a settlement or verdict in your favor. Call us today to learn more during a free consultation and connect with a Panama City, FL, personal injury lawyer near you.