Dog bites and other animal attack wounds can be significant injuries with devastating consequences. If you were the victim of a dog bite accident in Rehoboth, Massachusetts, you may benefit from the guidance of a personal injury lawyer with experience in these types of cases.
You do not have to chase down the negligent party and handle your injury claim by yourself. You might decide to reach out to a Rehoboth dog bite lawyer to take the stress off your shoulders so that you can focus on getting better. Let our team at GED Lawyers fight for your rights while you devote your energy to your health and well-being.
Dog Bite Laws in Rehoboth, Massachusetts
Mass. General Laws Ch. 140, Sec. 155, also called the Massachusetts Dog Bite Statute, creates a strict liability law on dog bites in this state. A dog owner is responsible for any damage the dog does to anyone unless the injury happened because the injured person was doing one of these things at the time of the attack:
- Committing some other tort (a civil wrong)
- Teasing, tormenting, or abusing the dog
There is a presumption, when the victim is younger than seven years old, that the minor was not doing any of the actions listed above. In that situation, the defendant dog owner will have to prove that the child provoked the attack by engaging in prohibited conduct.
You do not have to prove that the dog owner was negligent in any way to hold them liable for a dog bite accident in Massachusetts. Also, the statute does not limit dog-related injury claims only to incidents involving bites. Dogs are strong, rambunctious animals that can cause damage by other means, including:
- Knocking a person over,
- Causing a person to trip or fall,
- Scratching with their claws.
The statute provides a cause of action when “any dog shall do any damage to either the body or property of any person.”
For a free legal consultation with a dog bite lawyer serving Rehoboth, call (561) 995-1966
Injuries from Animal Attacks
The Mayo Clinic warns people to get prompt medical attention for any animal bite or claw wound that does more than barely break the skin because:
- The injury might be a deep puncture wound.
- The victim could have crushed or badly torn skin and other tissue.
- These wounds can cause significant bleeding.
- Symptoms of infection in a dog attack wound include worsening redness, pain, swelling, or oozing.
- If you cannot confirm that the animal was current on their rabies vaccination, you should seek professional medical intervention to keep from developing rabies.
- Dog bites and claw scratches are dirty wounds that can cause the victim to develop tetanus, also known as lockjaw. There is no treatment for this disease, there is only prevention. You might need a booster tetanus shot.
- The victim might need to undergo plastic surgery due to their injuries. The immediate attention to the wounds will impact how successful the scar reduction procedures will be.
In addition to dog bites, a person who gets knocked over or falls from an animal attack can suffer broken bones, head trauma, spinal cord injury, and soft tissue injuries. Also, scratches from a dog’s claws can cause lacerations, tissue damage, infection, disease, and disfigurement.
Rehoboth Dog Bite Lawyer Near Me (561) 995-1966
Damages in Rehoboth Dog Bite Cases
You might have questions about pursuing a dog bite injury claim against the defendant if you doubt their ability to pay your losses. Dog bite injury claims can get paid by the renter’s or homeowner’s insurance policy of the dog owner. If you choose to contact a Rehoboth dog bite attorney, they can help you find out what insurance the defendant has and whether that insurance covers dog bite injury claims.
Here are a few of the categories of damages that could be a part of your dog bite injury claim:
- Lost wages if you did not get paid when you were unable to work because of your injuries, medical procedures, and recuperation time.
- Medical expenses for the treatment of your wounds.
- Disfigurement for extensive scars from your injuries.
- Pain and suffering for the trauma, emotional distress, physical discomfort, and inconvenience.
Many people have additional losses, depending on their circumstances.
Legal Fees to Hire a Lawyer for Your Animal Attack Case
After experiencing an animal attack, you should not have to haggle with the claims adjuster or wage battle with a billion-dollar insurance company just to get the compensation you deserve. Just because you might not have the money to pay upfront legal fees to an attorney, you should not have to take on the defendant’s insurer by yourself.
Many attorneys use contingency fees and do not charge any upfront legal fees to help you go after damages for your injuries. We, at GED Lawyers, work without pay until the end of your legal matter. Then, we get a percentage of the settlement or court verdict. One might say that we bet our paycheck on the strength of your case.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Get Legal Help Today
We understand that you have endured a traumatic experience. At GED Lawyers, we are responsive, compassionate and go the extra mile to provide exceptional service to our clients. You are under no obligation for having an initial consultation with us. You can determine if we are the right law firm for you by meeting with us and asking all your legal questions. Do not hesitate to contact us today for a free case review.